5th Day of Christmas Treats: Gluten Free Chocolate Haystacks

I was planning on making butterscotch haystacks swapping out the chow mein noodles for rice chex. As I was opening the butterscotch chips I glanced at the ingredients and did a double take as I saw "barley protein" listed.  I jumped online and sure enough, butterscotch morsels are NOT listed on Nestle's gluten free product list.  Not to be deterred, I swapped out the butterscotch chips with semi-sweet and came out with yummy results.  Lesson learned - Aways double check your ingredients!!!

Gluten Free Chocolate Haystacks

1 cup gluten free chocolate chips (I used Nestle)
1/3 cup peanut butter
6 cups rice chex

Place chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute.  Stir in peanut butter and microwave for 30 more seconds.  Stir rice chex into chocolate mixtures and drop onto wax paper in golf ball size mounds.  Let haystacks set before eating.

No comments: