Crock Pot Chipotle Chili and Skillet Cornbread




I think I've found my new favorite meal! I came across the chili recipe in the Jan/Feb issue of Midwest Living. My husband and I both like the smokey flavor of chipotle and I had most of the ingredients on hand so it was a bit of a no brainer to make it for dinner. The original recipe calls for 1 1/2 pounds ground beef, but I only had 1/2 pound so I substituted an extra can of beans and doubled the hominy to take its place. I also used chipotle seasoning instead of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce - it's a personal preference.

After getting the chili into the crockpot I started thinking of what to serve with it. I love cornbread and have a decent gluten free one already posted on my blog, but unless you eat it right from the oven it's a bit on the dry side and doesn't re-heat very well (must eat with milk to choke it down although the flavor is nice). I was thinking of ways to add some moisture (sour cream, applesauce, etc) when I remembered that I had some creamed corn in the pantry. I thought creamed corn might help make my cornbread moist, and after doing some online searches realized that others shared my same line of thinking - there were lots of recipes online for cornbread using creamed corn. I used this one because it looked like I could easily make it gluten free. Here are the recipes exactly how I made them. They are so yummy and the cornbread is my new favorite!

Chipotle Chili

  • 1/2 pound ground beef
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 14 oz can mexican stewed tomatoes
  • 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 15-oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 30-oz. can golden hominy, rinsed and drained
  • 2 cups loose-pack frozen diced hash brown potatoes with onions and peppers
  • 1 teaspoon beef flavored better than bouillon
  • 2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon chipotle seasoning

Brown hamburger and place in slow cooker with all of the ingredients. Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours. Serve with sour cream, chopped avocado and shredded cheddar cheese if desired.


Skillet Corn bread
  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup gluten free flour blend
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon xanthum gum
  • 1 can creamed corn
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted, cooled slightly
  • 1 large egg, beaten to blend

  • preheat oven to 400°F. Whisk cornmeal, gf flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and xanthum gum in large bowl to blend. Add creamed corn, butter and egg. Stir just until blended. Spoon batter into an 8 inch cast iron skillet.
Bake until edges begin to pull away from pan sides and tester inserted into center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Serve warm with butter and honey.



No comments: