Favorite Gluten Free Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

In my mind, fall weather and oatmeal cookies are the perfect pair (along with football, sweaters and jackets!)  Growing up I always used the recipe on the back of the Quaker Oats container, so that's where I turned when I woke up in the mood for oatmeal raisin cookies.  Although I can no longer eat Quaker brand oats, (due to cross contamination with gluten) the recipe so easily transforms into a gluten free version you'll cry tears of happy joy.  Seriously, all I did was swap out the flour for a gluten free blend, add a bit of xanthum gum and use gluten free oats. Voila!  C'est Magnifique! (I don't speak French, but if I did that's what I'd say.)

GF Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

1 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. xanthum gum
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups gluten free quick cooking oats
1 cup raisins

Heat oven to 350°F. Beat shortening and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; add to butter mixture, mixing well. Stir in oats and raisins; mix well. Dough will be nice and thick.  Drop by rounded tablespoons onto cookie sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes. 

3 comments:

Linds Forrest said...

Looks delicious!! Hey, what is your salsa chicken? That sounds really good! Will you email me the recipe?!

Jody said...

Hello Gluten Free Betty!
My husband is also celiac and my friend shared your link....
I have been searching for gluten free oatmeal and cannot find it here in Canada...We live close to Washington State (20 min to the border) Where did you find yours?
Thanking you in advance
Jody L.

Meredith said...

Jody, I usually get my gluten free oatmeal at Whole Foods. You can also buy it online. Good Luck!