Smoothies!


I'm a bit of a banana snob. I eat a sliced banana with my corn crunch-ems every morning for breakfast and when I take each bite there is a specific flavor that I am anticipating. I won't eat green bananas in my cereal and if there's even a touch of brown on the peel it's past it's breakfast due date. Two things I learned growing up with 9 brothers and sisters are #1 bananas rarely are around long enough to go bad and #2 with 12 mouths to feed there is no wasted food (a mantra that I still live by , much to my husbands chagrin!). I've got a pretty good banana system going for me. Green bananas sit on the table until they reach the perfect yellow shade. At this point I've got 2-3 days (4-5 in the winter) to eat the bananas and then the day I can tell is their last before brown spots appear I peel and freeze whatever is left for smoothies. Because the bananas are frozen at the peak of ripeness sugar is not needed for a delicious smoothie. And don't worry, banana bread is one of my favorites so any banana that starts going brown still has a beautiful ending to look forward to!

Here are my two favorite smoothie recipes:

Banana Berry Smoothie
1 cup milk or vanilla soy milk
1 frozen banana
1 cup fresh or frozen berry of your choice (blueberry is my favorite)

Put ingredients in a blender, mix until smooth and enjoy!


Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Smoothie
1 cup mil or vanilla soy milk
1 frozen banana
1 Tablespoon peanut butter
2 Tablespoons chocolate protein powder

Put ingredients in a blender, mix until smooth and enjoy!

No comments: