I had a friend in Arizona who used to make homemade Oreos completely from scratch and I'd forgotten how I preferred them to the cake mix variety until I happened upon a chocolate cookie recipe in the Martha Stewart April 2008 magazine. I decided to take Martha's recipe (click here) and fit it to my needs. I reduced the sugar in the original recipe because I was planning to make sandwich cookies and didn't want them to be overly sweet. I also substituted gluten free flour mix for the flour, reduced the butter so they wouldn't spread too much, added baking powder for a little loft, and added guar gum for mouth feel.
Here's what I came up with:
- 1 cup gluten free four blend
- 1/3 cup Dutch cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon guar or xanthum gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large eggs
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder,guar gum and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, sugar, and eggs on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla, and mix to combine. Gradually add dry ingredients, and combine with mixer on low speed. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and chill until dough is firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. drop dough by small spoonfuls onto greased baking sheets about 1 inch apart. Bake until set, about 7 -8 minutes. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When cool use your favorite frosting to frost the underside of half the cookies and sandwich with another cookie of similar size (you want the flat side of each cookie next to the frosting). I used cream cheese frosting on half and chocolate frosting on the rest. Enjoy!
You are making me soooooo hungry. I added stuff to my blog!!!
Those look so good Meri!!! Since I have regular flour, should I just re-subsitute it for your gluten flour and it will work?! You should live closer so I can come eat what you make! :) Love you!!
Linds - yes you can substitute regular flour. Also, you won't need the guar/xanthum gum either. Let me know if you make them and what you think!
Wow...your Oreo cookies look so yummy! You are a better cook than Martha Stewart herself!!
Meri....It was a blast to look at your BLOG! Hope all is well with you! Take care & keep in touch.
Those looks SO yummy. I couldn't imagine life with out my favorite double stuffed oreos!! But those are really tempting!
Post a Comment