Gluten Free Texas Sheet Cake


I love Texas sheet cake and have been making it gluten free for years.  If you're craving some moist sweet chocolaty goodness covered in a fudge-like icing, this will fit the bill! 

Gluten Free Texas Sheet Cake 

1 teaspoon xanthum gum
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk (or sour milk)
2 eggs
1 cup butter
1 cup water
5 Tablespoons cocoa

Fudge Icing:
5 tablespoons cocoa
6 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Sheet Cake:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray  a 10x15 inch pan with cooking spray (please DON'T use the kind that has flour in it!) Combine the butter, water and 5 Tablespoons cocoa in a saucepan on medium heat. Bring mixture to a boil then remove from heat.  In a mixing bowl combine the flour, xanthum gum, sugar, baking soda and salt. On medium speed mix in the buttermilk and eggs after 1 minute add the cocoa mixture and mix until well combined. 

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. As soon as the cake is out of the oven, begin making the icing.


Fudge Icing: In a large saucepan, combine the milk, 5 tablespoons cocoa and 1/2 cup butter. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Stir in the powdered sugar and vanilla mixing until blended. Spread icing over warm cake.

8 comments:

Lee Ann said...

Oh yay!!!! A new recipe from you. I keep checking :) And Texas Sheet Cake! It's been on my list to try to convert, but I just didn't want to mess up such a huge recipe. I'm sure it's delicious! Now I just need to have a crowd over so I have an excuse to make it!

Jill said...

It looks really yummy! Could you send me some? :)

Linds Forrest said...

Yum! Do I do the same just with regular flour?!

Meredith said...

Linds- Yes! You can swap out the gf flour and xanthum gum for all purpose flour.

The Thueson's said...

I just wanted to tell you thank you for having your blog!! I was just told I am allergic to gluten (I don't have Celiac's though..) and I seriously don't even know where to start. I have been referred to your blog by a few people and just wanted to say hello!! :) I am excited to try out your recipes!

Meredith said...

Welcome Thueson's! Eating gluten free is pretty overwhelming at first, but keep at it and you will get the hang of it! You'll also find that eating gluten free is pretty yummy too!

Trudy said...

I made this cake and it worked out great! Where I live, we call it Lake Cake. I added 1 tsp cinnamon to the cake recipe and chopped pecans to the icing.

Unknown said...

Woohoo! I just made this, added a tsp of cinnamon and it came out great! Just like a gluten filled recipe I've made for years! My daughter will love it!