Favorite Gluten Free Brownies

These are my all time favorite brownies. I still remember the first time I tried them (at Danny's mission farewell open house) this, of course, being long before I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. This is my friend Ellen's brownie recipe and I have since adapted it to be gluten free. They are wonderful with or without frosting, but I'm a frosting girl so that's how I usually make them. They also make a great brownie sundae if you top them with ice cream and hot fudge! I love them with chopped walnuts or pecans stirred into the batter before baking, but my husband prefers them without. To compromise, I'll often make half the pan with nuts and the other side without!

Favorite Brownies - Gluten Free

1 1/2 cups gluten free flour mix
3/4 teaspoon xantham gum

8 Tablespoons Cocoa
1 cup oil
4 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped (optional)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients except nuts in a mixing bowl until well combined. Add nuts, if desired. Spread batter into a 9X13 pan and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Enjoy with or without your favorite frosting!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Meri, I just copied all your recipe's for my daughters Young Women's cook book she's making. I love all that you've done. I was feeling lousy and thought to cut gluten out of my diet and feel so much better. I've not been tested for celiac disease. (huge chicken...don't want a tube shoved down my throat) Carol has been tested and she doesn't. She's just intolerant to wheat. So I'm thinking I'm the same. I'm not sure if you remember me. I remember you and your whole family. (9th ward, many years ago) I've checked out your blog a few times and love it. I think your husband is lucky to have married such a good cook :) I'm glad you have a sweet baby--congrats! Thanks for posting all your yummy meals!!! Say Hi to your family for us. Love, Heather Fisher especially Joe since he was my friend.