Gluten Free Fudgies: Otherwise known as My Secret Indulgence when my husband's out of town...

Fudgies were introduced to me when I was 8 or 9 years old by our neighbor Shane Burns.  Most people know these cookies as no bake cookies (since you don't use an oven or "bake" them).  I've also heard them called boiled cookies and oatmeal snackies.  I've tried them with all sorts of add-ins including coconut, raisins, marshmallows and peanut butter.

By the time I was in high school I knew that I liked fudgies best with peanut butter.  On Saturday nights when our curfew dictated we return home from our various activities, my sister and I would sit in front of the TV watching SNL and Remington Steele while eating fudgies straight from the pan.

Gluten free fudgies taste best with quick cooking gluten free oats, a product that I have been searching for and finally found 5 years after going gluten free.  I've used the gluten free regular oats and they're just not as good with this recipe.

My husbands not big into fudgies, so I often find myself cutting the recipe down by 3rds and making a smaller portion.  Otherwise I would eat all of them myself.  And I would.  I'd be lying if I didn't say I've made these for my dinner when my husband's out of town.  So that I don't feel so guilty about this little indulgence I have reduced the fat and sugar in the single size portion.  They don't set up quite as well, but they do taste just as delicious.  I'm posting both recipes and you can pick for yourself.  I hope they bring back or create happy memories for you too!

Gluten Free Fudgies (regular batch)

1/2 cup butter (1 cube)
1/2 cup milk
2 cups sugar
3 Tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup peanut butter (I like creamy but crunchy works in a pinch)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups quick cooking gluten free oats

Combine butter, milk, sugar and cocoa in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.  Boil for 1 minute.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and peanut butter.  Add gluten free oats and drop hot mixture by heaping tablespoons onto wax or parchment paper.  They will set up as they cool.  Makes about 18 cookies.

My "Not so Guilty Pleasure" Fudgies (single serving or 6 cookies)

1 Tablespoon butter
1/4 cup milk
1 Tablespoon cocoa
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup quick cooking gluten free oats

Combine butter, milk, sugar and cocoa in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.  Boil for 1 minute.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and peanut butter.  Add gluten free oats and drop hot mixture by heaping tablespoons onto a plate or just eat from the pan (the mixture is really hot so let it cool a few minutes if you eat it this way).  They will set up as they cool but won't get as firm as the full fat/sugar version above.

No comments: