Mexican Style Black Beans and Pork in the Slow Cooker


This is one of our new favorites.  It's quick to put together and it tastes delicious.  The recipe makes enough for 4-6 adult servings, which means leftovers for us.  The first night I serve this over brown rice (I prefer short grain) and I garnish it with cilantro.  Later in the week I like to make it into tacos.  For tacos I heat up the pork mixture, drain off the liquid and serve it in warm corn tortillas topped with cheese, lettuce and tomatoes.  My husband usually adds sour cream and chipotle tabasco sauce to his.  We've also had these in burritos using my gluten free multi-flour tortilla recipe.  Any way you choose, this one is a keeper!

Mexican Style Black Beans and Pork

2 1 inch thick pork chops cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt (1/4 teaspoon table salt)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (based on your heat preference)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cans drained black beans (or 3-4 cups if you make your own like I do)
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 can water (use the tomato can once it's empty)
chopped cilantro, sour cream or any other garnishes you like

Place pork into the slow cooker and sprinkle with all of the seasonings (chili powder, salt, garlic powder, cumin, red pepper flakes and pepper) stir to coat the meat. Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the garnishes and cook on HIGH for 4 hours (or low for 6-8).  Serve over rice and garnish as desired. 

No comments: